Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Cicada-killers

So yesterday I took Charlie and Cory out - Cory of course runs around without a leash as he's seven and doesn't stray too far.

He's also a lab and we all know how labs are - curious, playful, NOSY.

So I'm walking under the apple trees with Charlie and we're minding our own business. Cory is several feet away and I can hear his big mouth snapping open and shut as he chases and attempts to eat flies...

...or so I thought they were flies. The next thing I know I see four or five of them circling Cory, but he seems fine and I dismiss the idea that they're bees. Oh boy was I wrong. Just a few seconds later I hear the poor thing bark/yelp and he runs over behind me - a trail of nasty digger wasps right behind him. Having a horrible history with bees and wasps I high tailed it into the house - herding the two boys in front of me like a frantic mother.

Cory, of course, is totally fine but has a few stings on his nose and mouth. And he won't let us put a cold compress or baking soda on it - but he seems much better today.

Needless to say, we won't be heading down to hang out under the apple trees for quite some time.

1 comment:

  1. but remember "all creatures great and small, the Good Lord made them all."

    ReplyDelete